ncheck -s

Paul Eggert eggert at sundae.sm.unisys.com
Thu Dec 1 13:23:51 AEST 1988

Guy Harris writes that "ncheck", both on S5R3 and 4.3BSD,
has an "-s" flag to look for both suid-files and special device files.
He also writes "I suspect it may do so faster than, say, 'find'."

On a Sun-3/160 fileserver under SunOS 4.0, I tried "ncheck -s".
Sometimes it dumped core.  Sometimes it silently missed files.
I persevered until I found a filesystem where it operated correctly.
It took 25% more wallclock time than "find", and 60% more user+system CPU time.
Beware "ncheck -s".