Trojan horse FIX for Rnmail and Pnews

Joe Wells jbw at bucsb.UUCP
Thu Dec 15 05:30:52 AEST 1988

In article <13253 at ncoast.UUCP> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>| Now for a different question... any other common editors (emacs, etc) with
>| a similar hook?  Any way to disable it?
>
>Emacs (FULL emacs, NOT Jove/Microemacs/mg/etc.) has a feature for modifying
>the editor's settings from a loaded file; but invoking it is non-trivial
>(you need a VERY fancy sequence in the file) and it won't execute
>generalized commands (s-expressions) (at least, I *think* it won't...) so
>it's nowhere near as dangerous.

GNU Emacs will execute arbitrary commands (ie., s-expressions) located
near the end of a file, unless the variable inhibit-local-variables is
set to a non-nil value.  If you're using GNU Emacs, I recommend that
you set this variable.  If you are using GNU Emacs and haven't set
this variable, you probably won't be able to respond to this article:

local variables:
eval: (kill-emacs t)
end:
Joe Wells		INTERNET: jbw%bucsf.bu.edu at bu-it.bu.edu
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!bucsf!jbw	      IP: [128.197.2.9]