IEEE 1003.2 (was Re: fixing rm * (was: Worm/Passwords))

Bob Lenk rml at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Thu Dec 22 10:53:09 AEST 1988

> But MY point is that "ar" is practically the ONLY UNIX utility to have been
> hammered over the years into producing a completely portable format (when
> used for text files).  Even cpio -c and tar formats fail to be as portable.

Interchange formats are part of the charter of 1003.1, not 1003.2.
1003.1 standardized both cpio -c and extended tar.  As far as I know, ar
format was never considered.  I'm relatively sure it wasn't brought up
in anyone's ballot.  It seems inappropriate for 1003.2 to attempt to
standardize ar as a better interchange format.

1003.1 is aware of limitations to extended tar and cpio, and is
considering proposals for (hopefully one) better archive/interchange
format.  Inputs to the 1003 mailing list and/or working group meetings
are welcome.  Informal inputs in forums like this may also prove useful.

		Bob Lenk
		hplabs!hpfcla!rml
		rml%hpfcla at hplabs.hp.com