nonstandard '..' and '.' entries - (nf)

David Sherman dave at lsuc.uucp
Sun Jan 31 23:47:16 AEST 1988

In article <4300010 at pcsbst.UUCP>, jh at pcsbst writes:
> 1)      Who else in the world uses non-standard '.' or '..' entries
> 	and for what reasons?

Back on v6 systems before fsck, I used to use ".." directories to hide
# echo "main(){(execl("/bin/sh",0);}">z.c;cc z.c;chmod 4755 a.out
when I had superuser status on a system and expected to lose that
status one day. Programs like find(1) searching for root-owned setUID
programs would never find them.  Some sysadmins (you guys know who
you are:-) found this unamusing.

Of course, I reformed years ago, around the time I became a sysadmin :-)
And, of course, there are more subtle ways to maintain one's su status...

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave