//host vs "mount point"

Thomas P. Mitchell mitch at stride1.UUCP
Thu Jan 21 10:00:00 AEST 1988

In article <38d18d4f.4580 at hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus at hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>In article <35000 at sun.uucp>, brent%terra at Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) writes:
>> Another good reason for "just another directory" is that it leaves
>> open the possibility of having nodes other than host names under
>> the directory.  Consider the following:
>>
>> 	/host/<hostid>	- file systems on other hosts
>> 	/home/<userid>	- users home directories
>> 	/src/<version>	- other source trees
>>
>But the // directory is just another directory.

The use of "//" in a file name string bothers me.

I just had a case of gnu-emacs parsing a file name
"/usr/me//.temp-filename" as "/.temp-filename".  Not being
superuser at the time I saw the error message. Searching found
that my environment variable "$HOME" was being set to
"/usr/mitch/".  Changing the environment "$HOME" to "/usr/mitch"
made the problem go away.

I did not see the problem sooner because many utilities reduce
"//" to "/" (try ls //).  Emacs saw the double "/" and assumes
that the user is over-riding a default and goes with the new file
name.

Well thanks for the soap.

Thomas P. Mitchell (mitch at stride1.Stride.COM)
Phone:	(702) 322-6868 TWX:	910-395-6073
MicroSage Computer Systems Inc. a Division of Stride Micro.
Opinions expressed are probably mine.