To find out the names of open files in a process

Craig Hansen hansen at mips.COM
Fri Jan 29 03:09:38 AEST 1988

In article <904 at thorin.cs.unc.edu>, gallmeis at wasp.cs.unc.edu (Bill Gallmeister) writes:
> this kind of reminds me of someone who asked how to get the size of a malloc'ed block.
> The answer?  "Remember how much you asked for, dimwit!"

Actually, if free() is going to be able to deallocate the space, the
dimwit malloc() ought to be salting the size away somewhere, since
free doesn't depend on the dimwit programmer telling it how big the
block is. With that in mind, there's no conceivable reason why there
isn't an msize() function for us comp.unix.dimwits.

--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development