autowrap

Jack Herrington jherr at umbio.MIAMI.EDU
Wed Sep 7 05:15:19 AEST 1988

in article <3861 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) says:
> In article <3854 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP I wrote:
>>May I recommend that you, and other designers, [emulate autowrap] please.
>
>                                   .......The right place emulate
> autowrap is probably in the terminal driver.

Huh?  What if my application doesn't want autowrap, like if I am a
modem dialing in and my xmodem process is sending through the driver, if it
decides to line wrap (by sending characters obviously) with x number of
characters then my xmodem is gone.

Besides if you really want to do wrap (good wrap), where it breaks at words,
not just at 'x' number of characters it requires much more definition than you
could ever send to a terminal driver.  I think it belongs in the application,
the people who advocate a bigger kernel are people who don't want to write
little peices of code like this.  Now I'm not a purist in that sense, I like
alot of the things Berkeley has thrown into the standard tty's and pty's
drivers, but things like this are too specific to the affected application.

Just my two cents worth.

-Jack
 jherr%umbio at umigw.miami.edu
 "How can one fool make another wise?" -Kansas ( :-) )