VMS vs. UNIX file system

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.UUCP
Thu Sep 22 21:58:01 AEST 1988

In article <3453 at crash.cts.com>, jeh at crash.CTS.COM (Jamie Hanrahan) writes:
>                 I don't think this is a "war" at all.  I think I've
> learned a bit about the right way to think about Unix files, knowledge
> which will no doubt come in handy some day, probably sooner than I think it
> will (if past experience is any guide).  Maybe some other folks have learned
> something about VMS files too.  Isn't this what the net is about?

Yup. Me, I learned a lot about VMS from your postings. Not that I'd ever use
it without you put a gun to my head, but I learned a lot. Thank you for your
lucid descriptions of how RMS works.

BTW, cultural differences are funny; I kept wanting to parse that acronym RMS
as "Richard M. Stallman", an entity even more complex and obscure (but much
less brain-damaged :-)) than VMS file I/O.
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: ...!{uunet,att,rutgers}!snark!eric = eric at snark.UUCP