Make & .cshrc

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Tue Sep 13 04:07:03 AEST 1988

> On my Uport V.3, if you create the following makefile
>
> fred:
> 	cd .. ; date
>
> and type 'make fred', you get the the date as expected, but you
> also get an extra prompt. I've tried this under SunOS 4, and the problem
> doesnt exist there. Is this a problem with the System 5 make ?

Arguably, yes.  The S5 "make" uses the shell specified by the SHELL environment
variable to execute commands.  This is bogus, since it cause sany Makefile that
uses Bourne shell constructs to fail when it is run by a user whose login shell
is the C shell.

The SunOS "make" always uses the Bourne shell to execute commands.

You might try sticking

	SHELL=/bin/sh

at the front of your Makefile to see if it fixes things.