Input output parity & stop bits (was: Re: autowrap)

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Wed Sep 7 05:42:07 AEST 1988

>From article <3854 at bsu-cs.UUCP>, by dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi):
> We have users here who use both VMS and UNIX from the same terminals.
> Terminal settings that work for VMS (e.g. no autowrap) ought not to
> stop working for UNIX, since it's commonly known that UNIX is so much
> more flexible than VMS.  For the same reason, I hope 4.3BSD people
> will give us no-parity input/output too in the future.
> --
> Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought clearing both the EVEN and ODD
bits in the flags member of the sgtty (or whatever) structure provides
no parity I/O.

On a related note, I log in from home quite a bit & use xmodem to
transfer data. I set my local machine to 8 data, no parity (which
works !!) and 1 stop bit. All is well till I try an upload, at which point
the system chokes. If I reset my local end to 8 N 2 all is well, i.e. I
assume the UNIX box is running 8 N 2. Is there any way to get it going
8 N 1 - I thought getty was supposed to spot such things, and although
my login id is only 2 characters ('dg') they are sent full speed at 8 N
1 as I'm using a terminal program with a chat script mechanism. I
haven't tried this, but if I send a pile of junk (say a dozen random
characters followed by a dozen backspaces to clear them) again at full
speed, could this help?

		Thanks in advance,
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!cca!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+