echoing style - DOS,VMS vs. Unix (was: AT&T Joining OSF)

Barry Shein bzs at encore.UUCP
Mon Sep 5 23:14:09 AEST 1988

>This is dependent upon what shell you are using.  If were using ksh,
>you would not notice this problem.
>Sh  will willing backspace over the prompt even on BSD systems.
>
>steve

That's just false. You are just seeing the behavior of the terminal
driver in cooked mode which may (BSD) or may not (SV) be counting
erase chars and stopping when it's all gone. It's possible some shell
version uses cbreak mode to emulate correct erase echoing but my
experiments with ksh here found what I expected, it simply depends on
the behavior of the underlying terminal driver.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||