Character echo at read time

Larry Wall lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Fri Sep 9 06:10:54 AEST 1988

In article <1059 at nmtsun.nmt.edu> warner at hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) writes:
>I make mistakes with the invisible type ahead.  Many times I do catch it
>before it's too late.  With VMS you can do a ^X anytime the terminal is
>not in "raw" mode and clear the current type ahead buffer.  How does one
>do this under unix?  (Really, I'd like to know, but I don't think it can
>be done if you have entered several commands...)

In article <15410 at ism780c.isc.com> mikep at ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) writes:
:
: On BSD systems, there is a key (default ^O) that flushes the input
: queue.  It is specified by: ``stty flush <char>''.  Yes, it works if
: you have typed several lines ahead.

That's odd, ^O certainly doesn't have that effect on my BSD system.  It flushes
output, not input.  Is your kernel hacked maybe?

When I want flush all my input, I just do a ^Z and then "fg" or "bg".

Larry Wall
lwall at jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov