UNIX to IBM VM/CMS File Transfers ???

David Dymm dymm at b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
Thu Sep 22 23:14:44 AEST 1988

Help!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to transfer files ("C" source code) between
UNIX (Sun, BSD 4.2) and an IBM system running  VM/CMS.

Question #1:

I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
tapes on my UNIX system.
With this utility, I can load the tape onto the IBM system,
and read the tape directly into VM/CMS without having to
worry about translation of special characters.
This means that the UNIX utility must create IBM "labeled"
tapes with variable length records in EBCDIC, and be able
to directly translate ASCII files to EBCDIC when writing them
to the tape.  In this way, the process of moving files from UNIX
to IBMd would be transparent.

Does anyone know of such a UNIX utility????
(Don't care about cost.....)

Question #2:

The connection between the UNIX and IBM systems is through a dial
up line at 2,400 baud.
What is the best communication package to use in transfering files
between the UNIX and IBM VM/CMS systems?
Is there a version of kermit for VM/CMS that can talk with UNIX?

Appreciate any help in this matter.  Thanks....

David Dymm			Software Engineer

                            *  Violence is the last refuge of   *
                            *  the incompetent.                 *
                            *                      Hardin       *

USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
        145 Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV 26505
PHONE:	304 291-9898 (8:30-4:30 EST)
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!dymm
INTERNET: dymm at b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu