undocumented stty fields, visible bell, and su (sunos 3.2)

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Sat Sep 10 15:09:07 AEST 1988

[line eaters are illegal in most states]

  I've discovered some rather baffling behavior on a sun 3 running 3.2.  I'm
using a DEC gigi terminal, and I've hacked my own termcap entries, including
one with a visible bell (vb) field, *but no explicit bl field*.  If I su to
root or anyone else, and set filec, the vb field seems to work!  I hit escape,
and it does the vb sequence, and it doesn't beep!  Several people have told me
that there isn't any way this should be happening, but it happens!

I also notice that here there seem to be a couple of undocumented
stty options -- noflsh, nopost, noisig.  All seem to be -'ed, ie.,
I normally have -noflsh, -nopost, and -noisig show up in `stty everything`.
Can someone enlighten me on those options?  None of them seem to control
the visible bell entirely, but I do notice that if I stty noisig,
the vb sequence takes longer -- the screen changes, stays, then changes back.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)