Make & .cshrc

Rodent Of Unusual Size cquenel at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Sun Sep 18 15:47:05 AEST 1988

In article <68801 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>               There is, admittedly, a workaround/fix for this - namely,
>putting "SHELL=/bin/sh" at the beginning of all your makefiles

>From a software engineering point of view, ignoring for the moment
what breaks and the inconvenience involved, the above is the most appealing
to me.

each line of a makefile executes "as if the shell executed it" (some shell),
and it makes sense to declare at the top of the Makefile, what program is
to be used as an interpreter for each line.

I am NOT saying "everyone should do this", but it does seem like a safe
thing to do.  I'm also not saying this is an excuse for careless
"make" implementations, just giving my opinion.

(Sheesh, I don't think (Sheesh, I don't thin THAT needs a disclaimer, eh ?)

--chris

| Chris Quenelle            | Smart Mailers -> cquenel at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU    |
| Computer Systems Lab      | Dumb Mailers  -> !ucbvax!voder!polyslo!cquenel  |
| San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 | /earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can|