Accessing a VAX tape drive from a S

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.UUCP
Fri Sep 9 05:42:51 AEST 1988

In article <3463 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>> > When writing a local tape, each write() call produces one record.
>>
>> Not true when a blocking factor > 1 is used.  Each write just adds a little
>> to a buffer, and when the buffer is full, THEN one physical record is
>> actually produced.

Clearly there's some confusion between what tar does internally and what
the OS does.

>	Say what?  On any Unix system I've ever seen, each write(2) system
>call produces exactly one physical tape record.

Most cheap SCSI tape drives have a fixed blocksize, often 512 bytes.  No
matter how much the OS wants to write 10240-byte blocks, the tape will have
10 separate 512 byte blocks on it.

--
Mike McNally of Lynx Real-Time Systems

uucp: lynx!m5 (maybe pyramid!voder!lynx!m5 if lynx is unknown)