System V Release 4.0 Developer Conferences

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 05:17:40 AEST 1988

In article ??? henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Herewith roughly what my friend told me.
>
>The kernels will be very big, probably needing a 16MB machine just to get
>started.  Nobody liked the sound of that.

	Holy OS. Even VMS does not require that much.

>In general, overall, the system is not getting simpler or cleaner.  Quite
>the contrary:  it is getting bloated, complex, and slow.  It will be
>difficult and expensive to run, support, and learn.

	Nice to know there will be something else for more religious
	Un*xFolk to boo and hiss about becides VMS. :-)

	If your friend is correct, then this may be the equivalent
	of a time-warp: back to Multics. (boy, this would really make
	the Bell Labs people cringe !!...) I sincerely hope I will
	have other alternatives by the time this bagbiter comes into
	the market.

oz
--
Reflections are 	        	| Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
images of tarnished aspirations.	|   ...uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz