RESULTS from adding unix groups

JPOULIN%BOWDOIN.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu JPOULIN%BOWDOIN.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu
Tue Sep 6 21:57:53 AEST 1988

Thanks for all your responses, they were *very* helpful.  I made
two errors in my original posting for adding unix groups.  One:
I said the file was /etc/groups (I did, in fact, mean /etc/group).
Two:  I said the /etc/group file was outdated.  I was absolutely wrong.
I thought it was outdated because the group file was incomplete (it
listed only a few users in a particular group that had many users).
I didn't realize that the GID in the passwd file does not need to
to be in the group file as well.  Some users on this system have
the same GID in the group file as in the passwd file (which I didn't
know was unnecessary) thus their one group was recorded in two places.
The addgroup program only adds a group name to the /etc/group file
(I think), it cannot be used to add a group to a user.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Jeff Poulin