Source pricing...

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 20:59:22 AEST 1988

In article <2185 at sultra.UUCP> dtynan at sultra.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
>What are the costs like for source or binary licences for BSD 4.? or
>System V?? ... I once heard it cost $80K for a BSD source licence.
>How accurate is that?

Not.

To buy 4.3BSD-tahoe source code (the current Berkeley release), you
must: a) sign Berkeley's contract, which says, in essense, that you may
give away those things that Berkeley wrote, as long as you credit UCB;
b) pay them $1500 (covers the manual pages, tapes, mailing fees, and
the cost of the people needed to make distributions); c) present a copy
of your AT&T source license, 32/V or later.

The problem, naturally, is c).  If you bought a 32/V license back when
you could buy one, 4BSD source costs a mere $1500. . . .