Character echo at read time

M. Warner Losh warner at hydrovax.nmt.edu
Mon Sep 5 16:13:47 AEST 1988

In article <371 at polyof.UUCP>, john at polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes...
>I'm curious to know: do you folks who tolerate "invisible" type-ahead
>ever make mistakes in typing commands (ahead)?  If so, when do you detect
>the mistakes?  Before it's too late?

This tends to be less of a problem than you might think.  "Type behind"
as one person called it is great.  It allows you to do things like have
a smart terminal driver that remembers the last thing you typed so you can

I make mistakes with the invisible type ahead.  Many times I do catch it
before it's too late.  With VMS you can do a ^X anytime the terminal is
not in "raw" mode and clear the current type ahead buffer.  How does one
do this under unix?  (Really, I'd like to know, but I don't think it can
be done if you have entered several commands...)

>   How do you see what you are correcting?

How do you see what you are correcting when you type the password to your
system.  It's the same sort of deal.

--
Warner Losh
warner at hydrovax.nmt.edu		...!unmvax!nmtsun!warner%hydrovax