FUSION product called NFSS, anyone use this with DEC VMS.

Dr. R.P. Alston Robin at turbo.RAY.COM
Wed Sep 7 08:30:28 AEST 1988

We have a bunch of UNIX workstations (SGI 3130 actually) which we wish to
provide a large disk service using NFS. We had planned to use a sun-3 with
300 Mbytes of disk thinking this would be moderatley compatible with
the SGI UNIX in terms of file system semantics (ie they are both unix machines
and understand things like symbolic links etc etc). Well that idea got
nixed and some bright spark said that 'the company' will provide you with
a vax-vms file server using the FUSION product called NFSS.

Now I have a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Apart from the fact
that I have never been overly impressed with VMS just how is this
going to affect the idea that I would want to use this disk service just
as if it were another unix box. I want to be able to use symbolic links,
makefiles, RCS and all those goodies that unix provides to support a large
development environment. I do not just want a large  disk server (which I
think NFSS will certainly provide).

Does anyone have any experience with NFSS and DEC-VMS and unix boxes in a like
situation. Furthermore I *KNOW* a sun-3 will take me all of a morning  to
configure, I don't think that thats going to be the case with NFSS (especially
since I am *NOT* the sysadmin on our vaxes, heaven forbid!)

Mail first please. All responses welcome.