transferring processes under csh

Charles Hedrick hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 2 15:38:02 AEST 1988

While detach/attach on TOPS-20 was a great feature, you should not
looks to TOPS-20 for a complete resolution of all the subtle issues
raised by this feature.  If you were in a program doing fancy terminal
handling when you detached, there was a reasonable chance that odd
things would happen after you reattached.  My favorite idea for doing
it on Unix is to do it in telnetd.  (This assumes that all users come
in via the network, which in our case is true.)  Detach would close
the network connection to the system, but leave telnetd and the pty
alive.  THere would then be an attach daemon that would locate the
right telnetd and you'd open a network connection to it.  The pty
would never be disturbed and Unix would go merrily on its way.