Booting SunOS 4.0 singlu user (was Re: NFS security)

Steve Groom stevo at judy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
Fri Sep 9 05:09:12 AEST 1988

In article <12397 at duke.cs.duke.edu> ndd at romeo.UUCP (Ned D. Danieley) writes:
>If I understand what you've described, the only way to protect a
>workstation from someone booting it single user is to deny root
>the ability to log in on that workstation. Doesn't sound very elegant
>to me.

But it only denies them the ability to *log in* as root.  It doesn't
stop you from using su to become root, which I view as preferable to
logging in as root anyway.  As a policy, we use su instead of logging
in as root.  We haven't enforced it completely by turning of 'secure',
but we've thought about it.

The reason is simple.  Su leaves a better trail around, telling you who
that really was.  If all you have is the fact that root logged in on
ttyx at nn:nn:nn, that doesn't tell you anything about who it might
have been that did it.

Sounds pretty elegant to me.

-steve
/* Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo at elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */