Make & .cshrc

Aled Morris awm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 22:15:58 AEST 1988

In article <67967 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> > >The SunOS "make" always uses the Bourne shell to execute commands.
[...]
> > Seems like make should always call the shell if it's specified to be
> > something other than /bin/sh or /bin/csh.
>
> "make" should always call "/bin/sh" regardless of what SHELL says; otherwise,
> you run the risk of Makefiles working for person A (whose login shell is the
> Bourne shell) and failing for person B (whose login shell is the C shell)

In the past I worked on a HP-UX (h-pux? :-) system.   Their version of make(1)
runs the users shell (probably "SHELL" from envp) unless a _make_ variable
called "SHELL" was set.  All my Makefiles would begin

	SHELL = /bin/sh

and portability was assured!  :-)

(this is from memory, no flames please...)

Perhaps this is a system V make(1) feature?

Aled Morris
systems programmer

    mail: awm at doc.ic.ac.uk    |    Department of Computing
    uucp: ..!ukc!icdoc!awm    |    Imperial College
    talk: 01-589-5111x5085    |    180 Queens Gate, London  SW7 2BZ

#pragma "Opinions expressed are my own, not those of the University of London"