Make & .cshrc

Chris Bertin chris at cetia.UUCP
Tue Sep 20 00:54:46 AEST 1988

In article <24946 at ccicpg.UUCP>, nick at ccicpg.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:
> In article <68616 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> >Yes, it was introduced in either the System III or the System V "make".  I'd
> >call it a "misfeature", not a "feature", since it breaks existing Makefiles
> >when run by users whose login shell isn't "/bin/sh".
> >

> I personally like this feature/misfeature, as it allows me to invoke ksh.

If 'make' had been modified to get its shell from a different variable (say
'MAKESHELL', for example), no existing makefiles would have been broken and
you would still be able to use a different shell. It is a misfeature.

Chris

--
Chris Bertin	| CETIA
		| 150, Av Marcelin Berthelot, Z.I. Toulon-Est
+33(94)212005	| 83088 Toulon Cedex, France
Ext: 239	| inria!cetia