Bell Tech MPE386 with SYSV386 using printers help!!

Dr. R.P. Alston Robin at turbo.RAY.COM
Thu Sep 29 22:05:52 AEST 1988

I have a Bell Technologies Multi Purpose Engine 386 box running SYSV386 and I
am trying to get a parallel printer working correctly. The port I am using
happens to be on the card with the mouse port and ends up in my box being
/dev/lp2. If I install 'lp' or if I just cat directly to the device the
performance is ridiculously slow on the printer (1 line every few seconds or
so). Its as if there is some huge delay per character or on the <crnl> at the
end of each line. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I have done an stty from the
port (which I find a little strange anyway since its not really a tty), and
whats worse I don't seem to be able to change the settings at all, even
if I hang something on the device to keep it open. The thing that disturbs
me about the stty is that it is saying the port is set for 'cs5' which is the
only setting the appears strange to me (although on a parallel port that
can't make sense anyway, can it?).

Help please anyone. Please use e-mail first.

PS.
The box also has merge 386 installed and X10R4 but if I run a kernel minus
merge it makes no difference.