Request for file backup info

peter d fiorese fiorese at bashful.steinmetz
Wed Sep 28 05:43:37 AEST 1988

Hello,
    I'm currently in the process of re-writing a backup system for
Suns, and I could use some advice.  I posted a similar question a few
months ago, but got limited response.
    Presently we have some 250 Sun's on site, and they are being backed
up to four drives, two 6250's (fulls) and two 1600's (incrementals).
Full's are presently done once a month, with weeklies and dailies in
between.  With the addition of 50 more Suns in the immediate future,
a new plan is required.

    Basically, I'm looking for any relevant information, including:

	general ideas on backup schedules
	details of problems you've had with rdump (and solutions)
	ability to handle machine going down during backup
	doing incrementals to remote disks
	comments on media (helical scan, gigatapes, etc)
	adaptation for different systems (NFS, Tektronix, Apollo)
	anything that you think that will help.

    Please e-mail responses, and I'll post a summary.

Thank you,
   Pete

fiorese at ausable.steinmetz.ge.com        fiorese%ausable.tcpip at ge-crd.arpa
uunet!steinmetz!ausable!fiorese         fiorese%ausable at steinmetz.UUCP