VMS vs. UNIX file system

Jamie Hanrahan jeh at crash.cts.com
Tue Sep 20 07:38:15 AEST 1988

No, this isn't a followup rebuttal, even though I've been beat up pretty
badly re. my statement about "record separators" (okay, okay, "line
separators") in Unix files.  I said my piece already, right?

But I was annoyed to see someone say "Please, don't start another
Unix vs. VMS war".  I don't think this is a "war" at all.  I think I've
learned a bit about the right way to think about Unix files, knowledge
which will no doubt come in handy some day, probably sooner than I think it
will (if past experience is any guide).  Maybe some other folks have learned
something about VMS files too.  Isn't this what the net is about?  (But if
someone says "Please don't let this get out of hand", I'll second.)