Character echo at read time

Nate Hess nate at mipos2.intel.com
Fri Sep 9 05:20:01 AEST 1988

In article <4477 at mtgzz.att.com>, dam at mtgzz (d.a.morano) writes:
>Also, on UNIX(TM), the echoed
>characters can get displayed in the middle of a write(2) to the terminal.
>This serves to destroy background escape sequences that may be printing
>to the terminal from a background process using write(2) directly.  The
>resulting effect is garbage on the terminal display.

A simple, straight-forward, and beneficial solution to the problem of
background jobs writing garbage to the screen is to do

stty tostop

which will cause background jobs to stop on output, just as they do by
default for input.  This is especially handy for background find
commands, etc.

Your mileage may vary,
--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

nate at mipos3.intel.com     ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate