Weird problem with vi... "Not that many lines in buffer"

Clifford C. Skolnick ccs at lazlo.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 04:33:54 AEST 1988

In article <508 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I just created this .signature file, and for some reason every time this
>is in a file, and I do a "vi" of that file I get the following message...
>
>".signature" 4 lines of 300 characters Not that many lines in buffer
>
>-Lenny
>--
>Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         w: +1 (516) 582-5525
>lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex: 154232428 ICUS         h: +1 (516) 968-8576
                              ^   ^ Here is the problem!

According to vi you are trying to go to line 154232428!  I found this
problem when I created a line "systex:XXXXX:...." in my passwd file.  Put
a space between the "ex" and the ":" or just change Telex to TELEX.

--
Clifford C. Skolnick    | - You told me time makes it easy, then you never told
Phone: (716) 427-8046   |   me time stands still - Gary Neuman