Looking for standalone Eagle access

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Sep 8 01:46:26 AEST 1988

In article <143300004 at ishmael> cball at ishmael writes:
>... 4.3BSD Vax 11/780 ... [with] two Emulex SC750's and some Fujitsu
>Eagles ....  How do I make the standalone copy program or the boot program
>access an Eagle in this configuration?

I thought the SC750 was for VAX 11/750s, but if it acts like a massbuss,
`hp(y,z)' should do it, where `z' is the drive number and `y' is. . . :

>... I ran into a documentation error in ... Installing and Operating
>4.3BSD on the VAX, SMM:1-4 ....  DEC [had] installed the [second] massbus
>adaptor at tr10 instead of tr9. ...  Apparently, in the device
>specification "xx(y,z)", y should be calculated as
>	(8 * (tr<mbaX>-tr<mba0>)) + device
>not
>	(8 * mba) + device

Not really an `error', but rather an attempt at simplification.  `y'
must (on an 11/780) be a number in the range 0..31; the upper 2 bits
of this five bit number select a massbuss TR in the range 8..11, and
the lower 3 select a particular drive on that massbuss.  A configuration
in which mba1 is not at tr9 is unusual enough that the number of
calls to Berkeley CSRG about this is not a problem :-) .  If you have
an MBA on an 11/780 that is on a TR number outside the range 8..11,
you have to modify [vax]stand/autoconf.c.  (We may eventually get
around to installing some code from Robert Elz that fixes all this.)

Incidentally, the 4.3BSD-tahoe VAX boot code now takes the form

(mba)	device(adapter, 0, drive, partition)filename
(mba 2sbi) device(adapter+4, 0, drive, partition)filename
(uba)	device(adapter, controller, drive, partition)filename
(tape)	device(adapter, controller, slave, fileindex)

(n.b. `adaptEr', but I may never get Mike to spell it right).  This
means you can boot from controllers other than 0 on a Unibus.  The `mba
2sbi' is for the second SBIA on a VAX 8600 or 8650.  What with the BI
adapters on the new 8000 and 6000 series VAXen, we may have to add a
fifth prefix, which would clean up this kludge too.