autowrap

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Mon Sep 5 21:58:09 AEST 1988

In article <8437 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>)
writes:
>(At
>present we also don't emulate line wrap for terminals that lack it,
>because we don't want the shell to have to depend on termcap.)

May I recommend that you, and other designers, do so, please.  There is
no need to backspace across screen lines, but when normally sending
output to the terminal, autowrap emulation would be useful.

The screen width ought to be a terminal attribute settable and
obtainable like other terminal attributes that stty is used to set.
4.3BSD keeps screen width information somewhere in its tty data
structures.

We have users here who use both VMS and UNIX from the same terminals.
Terminal settings that work for VMS (e.g. no autowrap) ought not to
stop working for UNIX, since it's commonly known that UNIX is so much
more flexible than VMS.  For the same reason, I hope 4.3BSD people
will give us no-parity input/output too in the future.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi