Info on BRL shell

Michael Morrell morrell at hpsal2.HP.COM
Fri Sep 23 04:53:40 AEST 1988

/ hpsal2:comp.unix.wizards / roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) / 11:48 am  Sep 21, 1988 /
davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> Please tell me that I'm not the only one who feels competent to decide
> how I set my prompt, for root or anyone else.

	Sorry Bill, but I agree that putting a '#' at the end of the
superuser prompt is A Good Thing.  I've often got a half dozen shells
running in different windows; it's nice to be reminded which of them has
been superuserized.

I agree totally with Bill.  All the superusers at my machine follow the "#"
convention, but it is VERY much against the UN*X philosophy for a shell to
enforce such a thing.  Besides, how does it actually do it?  Does it check PS1
before each prompt?  Sounds like a lot of overhead.

  Michael