Character echoing (was AT&T Joining OSF)

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 15:19:29 AEST 1988

In article <12016 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> one of the few things I like about DOS and VMS is that the characters
> are echoed as they are read, not as they are typed.  This prevents
> display of info designed to be read "no echo."

It also prevents display of other typeahead.  Which sort do you type
more of?

I had to get used to echo-ahead when we changed over from VMS to UNIX.
I've used it both ways and I prefer the UNIX way.  The occasional
no-echo read isn't worth losing the ability to read (and therefore
edit) what's been typed ahead.

> Fortunately there seems to be no reason why this can't be done in a
> device driver, even if it's not (I would like to think it is and I
> haven't found it).

*This* is the *real* difference between UNIX and the rest of the crowd.
Just try to change the echo behavior on DOS or VMS!

Curious that this isn't a bit somewhere in the so-called "new" line
discipline on Berkeley; everything else is, seems like.  Should be
straightforward to add; perhaps I'll do it someday, if you don't.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu