Character echo at read time

Michael A. Petonic mikep at ism780c.isc.com
Mon Sep 5 18:42:38 AEST 1988

In article <4659 at cbmvax.UUCP> ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
 >In article <8418 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
 >>In a UNIX implementation of deferred echo, presumably one would
 >>type ^R to check his most recent input line while there is still
 >>time to edit it (before typing a newline).
 >No, no, no... part of the beauty of doing echo the non-unix way is that you
 >don't need to ^R to see what you typed.  It's unix-echo that causes your
 >input line to get screwed up so you have to type ^R.

Following the thread, I think Doug was saying that if an O.S. used
MS-DOS echo and if you wanted to check what you typed (while another
command is running), you could type ^R to see it.  This would
be desirable since the MS-DOS way doesn't echo out until it reads
the input and those of us less gifted would have a way of visually
scanning the line to make sure it's correct.

-MikeP
Michael A. Petonic				mikep at ism780c.isc.com

	       ``Have a heart... But don't take mine.''