How can I read keyboard without stopping

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Sep 19 10:13:37 AEST 1988

As quoted from <717 at super.ORG> by rminnich at super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich):
+---------------
| In article <1305 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
| >Tty EOF-character semantics are a muddy point: is it really EOF or is
| >it just a "push", which looks like EOF when typed alone on a line?  Or
| >is it something else?  The push interpretation seems to be common.
|
| Yeah, this was a good point, as was chris's that EOF is a transient
| thing. And it is, in many cases. And in many other cases, it is not
| (e.g. you hit the end of a pipe and the proc on the other end just died.
| You ain't goin' no where). So, it seems to me there are two types
+---------------

...unless the pipe is really a FIFO, in which case the EOF is (again)
temporary.  (That's how it seemed to work under SVR2, at least.  I would
have preferred that the call block until someone else opened the other end
of the FIFO and wrote to it, though, for the application I was trying to
write with FIFOs.  It made the program work like it was in NDELAY mode.  I
finally ended up using message queues.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc