VMS vs. UNIX file system

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Mon Sep 19 13:19:46 AEST 1988

> I wouldn't be at all shocked to see DEC announce (essentially) RMS
> under Ultrix (and I'll bet a dollar someone is working on this.) Fine
> idea, as long as it's not in the OS.

Or, more precisely, not in a more-privileged mode than user mode; I consider
the OS to be more than just the kernel - for instance, I consider UNIX standard
I/O to be part of the OS.

Under RSX-11, if I remember correctly, RMS is just a library that runs in user
mode; VMS decided to fill another much-needed gap by running it in executive
mode.  Neither of them stuffed it into the kernel, at least....