Free Sun bash

William LeFebvre phil at titan.rice.edu
Tue Sep 20 04:09:11 AEST 1988

In article <24947 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd at bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>(This discussion doesn't really belong here so I've redirected
>followups to comp.unix.wizards)
>
>In article <657 at mace.cc.purdue.edu> mtr at mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>|I have a color Sun 3 in my office and it is just unacceptably slow.
>|Especially if you want to use X11R2, but it carries on to Sunview
>|also.  It can get so that scrolling is no better than 1200 baud dial
>|up.  HP's color workstation is about 100 times faster, although they
>|have thier own problems with networking.
>
>Hmm.  I use a Sun 2/120 with x11r2 and it's not "unacceptably slow"
>for most things.  If you put xterm into "jump" mode you get good speed
>on the scrolling.

[ I won't do it I won't do it I won't do it I won't do it I won't do it
  I won't post a followup to this message I won't I won't I won't
  YAAAHHHHHHH! ]

Oh well.  This should really be discussed in Sun-Spots (was that a
shameless plug or what?).  If Miek Rowan has problems with Sun and Sun
hardware/software, he would do well to discuss them *in detail* in
sun-spots (or in comp.sys.sun).

His machine is slow, by the way, because it is a color machine.  The color
frame buffers are really slow.  He might try using just the B&W plane, but
I don't know if you can coerce X into doing that.  I understand that there
are also a few problems with the color implementation of X11R2, so the
fault might not lie strictly with the hardware.  There are other things
that could also be slowing down the machine:  insufficient real memory for
the demand (you should have at least 4 meg to run SunView acceptably),
loaded network, loaded disk server, slow disk server.

By the way, you can get sun-spots by either reading the moderated Usenet
list comp.sys.sun or by sending in a request to subscribe (please include
your Internte address) to "sun-spots-request at rice.edu".  To submot an
article, either post it to comp.sys.sun (it will get mailed to the right
place if you are running the right version of the news software) or mail
it to "sun-spots at rice.edu".  Turnaround time last week was about 1 to 2
days.  But the hurricane has disrupted my life and put me a few days
behind.

			William LeFebvre
			Sun-Spots moderator
			Department of Computer Science