tracing system calls

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Sat Sep 3 16:29:36 AEST 1988

In article <66624 at sun.uucp>, brent%terra at Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) wrote:

> And how!  Actually any SunOs 4.0 user can do that now with
> the trace(1) command.

> 	$ trace date

I count 8 closes, 6 mmaps, 5 opens, 3 reads, 2 munmaps, 1 write...

What on earth does all of this have to do with printing the date and
time???  getgid?  ioctl?  That's 36 system calls.

I don't want to flame Sun over trace though: that is incredibly
useful.  I am curious about implementation though: if it will display
the data for write(2) it would seem a security hole unless disabled
for suid processes.  Is there any possible way to write a similar
program under SysVr3 without kernel modifications?
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746