Streams TTY driver (was: echoing sytle - DOS,VMS vs. Unix)

John Buck john at polyof.UUCP
Wed Sep 7 01:31:47 AEST 1988

In article <66898 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> > >S5R3 has streams, but doesn't use them for ttys (except maybe in some
> > >cases).
> > I thought SVR3.1 or perhaps SVR3.2 had finished the conversion of the
> > character I/O system to use STREAMS.
> Nope, at least not in the S5R3.2 code we have, and definitely not in S5R3.1.

Well, if you whip out your handy-dandy "System V, Release 3.2" Release Notes,
page 6-46 says,
	"   In the next major release of UNIX System V, the current character-based
TTY subsystem will be replaced with a STERAMS-based version the TTY subsystem...
The new TTY subsystem will include STREAMS-based versions of the 3b2 console
driver, PORTS, HIPORTS, and EPORTS drivers as well as a STREAMS-based module
called LDTERM.  LDTERM will support both the UNIX System V termio(7) line
discipline and the TERMIOS line discipline as specifed in the POSIX standard."

Now, we need a definition of "the next major release of UNIX System V", that would
probably be Release 4.

john at polyof.poly.edu