Make & .cshrc

Nick Crossley nick at ccicpg.UUCP
Sat Sep 17 04:08:35 AEST 1988

In article <68616 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>Yes, it was introduced in either the System III or the System V "make".  I'd
>call it a "misfeature", not a "feature", since it breaks existing Makefiles
>when run by users whose login shell isn't "/bin/sh".

I personally like this feature/misfeature, as it allows me to invoke ksh.
Certainly for makefiles which I intend to be portable, I only use sh
commands, but for my own development I use commands/scripts which need
ksh.  Our site does not install ksh as sh, and I cannot reliably use the
#! mechanism as ksh lives in different places on different machines.
(Yes, I know that is silly, but that is how it currently is.)
Anyway, #! would only allow ksh scripts, not ksh commands directly
from the make file.  This is also why I would say that any version of
make which attempts to be 'efficient' and exec directly a rule line which
does not include shell meta-characters is broken; such versions of make
do not take account of new shells such as ksh, and even then would have to
be kept in step with the evolution of sh.

--

<<< standard disclaimers >>>
Nick Crossley, CCI, 9801 Muirlands, Irvine, CA 92718-2521, USA