Why csh still wins (was Re: Thank you, Bill Joy!)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Mon Sep 5 08:31:25 AEST 1988

In article <194 at cvbnet2.UUCP> aperez at cvbnet2.UUCP (Arturo Perez Ext.) writes:
>Speaking for myself, the only reason I don't use the Bourne shell
>is because it doesn't have job control.  I've seen an implementation
>of a history mechanism in the Bourne shell in a SCRIPT!

The BRL edition of the SVR2 Bourne shell has had job control (on
systems that support it) for years, and now has command history
and EMACS-like editing.  In fact we have little motivation to
pay extra for a Korn shell.