TSET can speed up BSD UNIX

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Fri Sep 16 14:47:22 AEST 1988

In article <43200043 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
[recommending the use of `tset` to initialise TERM and TERMCAP, so that
 programs will run faster.]

This is _usually_ a good idea, but it is worth using the 'time' command
to see whether things have improved.  When I tried it here, the time to
use an editor went _UP_.

>From what I can tell, there is no way to store the TERMINFO information in
>the environment, meaning ls, vi, and other programs all have to go searching
>through the /usr/lib/terminfo directory for the terminal type each time I run
>a command.  ...  Is there something I am missing?

A little bit.  There is an environment variable TERMINFO which holds the
name of the directory, so if you want vt52 terminfo to come from
	/usr/kai/terminfo/v/vt52
you would do
	TERMINFO=/usr/kai/terminfo
The trouble is that a terminfo description is in binary, which means it
can have NUL characters, which means that putting one in the environment
isn't going to work.