RFS Questions

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Fri Sep 9 00:16:08 AEST 1988

In article <577 at attdso.ATT.COM> tim at attdso.UUCP (Tim J Ihde) writes:
...In article <793 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
...>
...>I'm running RFS over a STARLan network between two 3b2/400s, and I would
...>like to make the bin directories of the host machine available to the
...>users on the other.  I'm thinking that I should mount /bin on one point,
...>/usr/bin on a second, and /usr/local/bin on a third, and then add
...>/pt1/bin, /pt2/usr/bin, and /pt3/usr/local/bin to everyone's PATH.  Will
...>this work?
...Mounting /bin through the network would be a BIG MISTAKE!!
...Consider: about the last thing your machine will do on boot-up will be to
...start up RFS.  Before this occurs lots of useful programs will be run in
...your /etc directory (and elsewhere) - a good portion of which are shell
...scripts.  Uh oh, we can't run any shell scripts because /bin/sh isn't there
...because RFS isn't up yet.

I think we have a miscommunication.  I didn;t intend to mount /bin of
the server on /bin of the client.

...> Will the C compiler on the host find the include files on
...>the host and #include them with C source on the client?  The libraries, too?
...Not unless you tell the compiler where these file are.  By default, my cpp
...will look in /usr/include for #included files unless told otherwise via
...the -Y or -I options (System V C Compilation System, Issue 4.2 4/29/87; your
...mileage may vary).  Alternatively, you could just wipe out the contents
...of your local /usr/include directory and mount the remote /usr/include under
...that name.  Then no compiler options would be necessary since everything is
...where it is expected to be.  I've done this with some extra troff libraries
...and it works fine - in fact our /usr/spool/news is mounted this way by
...several other machines.
...Similar for /lib.

I made a script with cc and a bunch of -Y options, but if mounting
server's /usr/include on client's /usr/include and mounting server's
/lib on client's /lib will do the trick, I will go that route as it
seems a cleaner approach.  You're saying that all header files and all
libraries will be accessible by cc that way?

Many thanks.

Pete