Character echo at read time

Barry Shein bzs at encore.UUCP
Sun Sep 11 22:56:32 AEST 1988

When TOPS-20 bit the dust we got a lot folks switching over to Unix
and in doing so calling for more TOPS-20'ish features in Unix, things
they sorely missed. Fortunately, a lot of those things went beyond
simple matters of style and were often good suggestions (eg. PMAP), or
at least apparently interesting (eg. STI.)

Now we seem to have a migration from MS/DOS and VMS...

Is there anything more interesting to suggest from those systems than
"type behind"? (as I remember TOPS-20 did have both styles available
as a "stty" [SET TERM] flag.)

No, you're not getting all upper-case/mono-case everything, don't even
ask, 026 punchcard support just isn't the wave of the future.

(When in Rome do as the Romans do?)

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

I suppose in a another few years they'll be screaming for OS/2 features
as that botch dies out (hmm, how about CMS? MVS?)

P.S. Not a criticism, I always like to look at and hear about other
systems for ideas (TOPS-20 really is/was fertile ground.) I just don't
like to hear screaming that mere stylistic differences one has become
accustomed to are "essential" or other hyperbole.

Note that it wouldn't be that hard to emulate the stylistic features
as a user application rather than make them part of the O/S, if you're
certain they're so damned critical then consider it a business
opportunity to sell an emulator (heh heh.)