tracing system calls

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Thu Sep 8 13:34:08 AEST 1988

In article <66892 at sun.uucp>, brent%terra at Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) wrote:
> In article <7460 at bigtex.uucp>, james at bigtex.uucp (me) writes:

> > > 	$ trace date

> > What on earth does all of this have to do with printing the date and
> > time???  getgid?  ioctl?  That's 36 system calls.

> Most of the system calls in this example are taking care of the
> mapping in of the shared libraries.

How does this implementation compare to the SysVr3 shared libraries?
I had been under the impression there that shared libraries were
mapped into the address space by the kernel, not by the user process.
Is there any particular advantage between the two schemes, or does
SysVr3 do it like Sun OS-4?
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746