what should egrep '|root' /etc/passwd print?

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at ki4pv.uucp
Sat Sep 17 23:52:27 AEST 1988

In article <8202 at alice.UUCP>, andrew at alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) writes:
) i think that it is clear that grep '' file is always a syntax error;
) there is no useful interpretation of such a regular expression.

I wasn't aware that the "grep" family was intended to decide for me what
constituted a "useful" regular expression.  I was under the impression
that these programs were merely supposed to match on whatever expression
I cared to provide.
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner