VMS vs. UNIX file system

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Mon Sep 19 13:29:18 AEST 1988

> What I would like in the UNIX file system the VMS system has is the ability
> to break links when a file is written.  I have an application where we wish
> to share information between two directories, but I want the link broken if
> the file is written when accessed from any directory it is listed in.  This
> happens with VMS links because of versions of files in the file system.

This can happen in UNIX as well, if you write your application to break links
in this fashion.  Few applications do this, but I suspect many users of those
applications may well consider this to be a feature....

(It can, I believe, also *not* happen in VMS if your application does whatever
magic is needed to write on an existing file rather than creating a new file
with a higher version number.)