Sun 4 console message problem

Jim Hutchison hutch at net1.ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 22 13:44:44 AEST 1988

()
I have been seeing an interesting problem on a Sun 4/280 I have
been using to do some dr11-w development.  When the interface is
very busy (sending continuously for long periods, minutes), console
messages will occasionally stray off to /dev/ttya instead of going
to the console.  Has anyone else seen this before?  Is it perhaps
a peculiar side effect of the DELAY(x) kernel macro?  Broken hardware?

Configuration:	Sun 4/280, xylogics disk controller, standard scsi tape,
fujitsu 9 track, Super-Eagle, 32Mbytes of memory, and an IKON 10089 DR11-W
interface board in a VME2-3 adapter in the last slot.

As long as I'm asking, any thoughts on why selection_svc won't die like
a good little process should when I exit suntools (or root, guest, etc. for
that matter)?

/*    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
		    		ARPA:	JHutchison at ucsd.edu
Disklamer:  it's mine.  If you think its wrong, then it's *really* mine. */