TCP/IP Broadcast Address & Wollongong WIN3B

Don Ferencz ferencz at cwsys3.cwru.Edu
Fri Sep 16 04:39:09 AEST 1988

Hello again.

A short while back I posted a question pertaining to the "broadcast
address" of my particular TCP/IP version - Wollongong's Enhanced
WIN3B running on three AT&T 3B2/310's.  I asked if anyone knew why all of
my attempts to change the broadcast address from a sockets application
(with the SIOCIFGBRDADDR ioctl) were failing with EINVAL.  Well, many
people pointed out what should have been painfully obvious: that
version of TCP/IP is based on BSD4.2 Sockets, which does not support
a change of broadcast address!  However, the #define for
SIOCIFGBRDADDR appears in the header file <ioctl.h>!!!  My thanks
to all who responded, and my condolances to those who had wished to
do the same thing I did.

| Don Ferencz                       |  "All the world's indeed a stage\   |
| ferencz at cwsys3.cwru.EDU           |   And we are merely players\        |
| Dept of Systems Engineering       |   Performers and portrayers"        |
| Case Wetsren Reserve University   |     -- Rush                         |